The Trees The Fork Oak Day80 - TexturePacker Sprite Sheet Import

Do initial work for integrating texture mapper sprite sheets

Project Page


Today and yesterday I did the initial work and investigation to use spritesheets for my Monogame engine. The is necessary for my eventual plan to build a sprite renderer from scratch which will give me more precise control over the rendering logic and hopefully give me a way to fix the weird pixels between tiles problem. As an added benefit, this should let me do better z ordering instead of hacking it together with the layer order.

The tool I decided to use was a cheap sprite backer utility which lets you specify a list of textures and it will pack all of them into a single spritesheet with a data file holding all of the positions of each sprite. There is a bunch of really great documentation online for how to get it working with many different game engines.

Unfortunately since my game needs to run on windows and iOS, and since the Nuget package is a bit old, I was unable to figure out how to get the Monogame specific spritesheet importer working. Luckily TexturePacker lets you export to a generic format such as xml or json. I picked the json export because the wonderful Newtonsoft Json library is pretty easy to use and fast enough. I spent some time fiddling with the settings in TexturePacker and eventually came up with this packed sheet:

Tile Sheet

With the sheet generated, my first step to importing it was to take a look at the json that gets output and create a datastructure which matches that output format so that I can have a deserialization target.

  {"frames": {

	"frame": {"x":1,"y":182,"w":32,"h":24},
	"rotated": false,
	"trimmed": false,
	"spriteSourceSize": {"x":0,"y":0,"w":32,"h":24},
	"sourceSize": {"w":32,"h":24},
	"pivot": {"x":0.5,"y":0.583333}
... } }

Given the basic example, I picked the data I cared about such as the actual frames object, the frame position, and the pivot location and omitted the rest as they are extra information not necessary for the particular settings I used to create the spreadsheet.

  public class Frame {
    public int X { get; }
    public int Y { get; }
    public int Width { get; }
    public int Height { get; }

    public Frame(int x, int y, int width, int height) {
        X = x;
        Y = y;
        Width = width;
        Height = height;

public class Pivot {
    public float X { get; }
    public float Y { get; }

    public Pivot(float x, float y) {
        X = x;
        Y = y;

public class SheetElement {
    public Frame Frame { get; }
    public Pivot Pivot { get; }

    public SheetElement(Frame frame, bool rotated, Pivot pivot) {
        Frame = frame;
        Pivot = pivot;
public class SheetSpecification {
    public IReadOnlyDictionary<string, SheetElement> Frames { get; }

    public SheetSpecification(Dictionary<string, SheetElement> frames) {
        Frames = frames;

Theres a fair amount of goo going on here to get the core data types, but the basic idea is to create a class for each level of the data structure with a constructor for each property. After these are defined, I can use Newtonsoft Json's JsonConvert class to deserialize a file into an instance of the above type.

  public void LoadContent(ContentManager content) {
    string sheetSpecJson = File.ReadAllText("./Content/TileSheet.json");
    SheetSpecification = JsonConvert.DeserializeObject<SheetSpecification>(sheetSpecJson);

    Sheet = content.Load<Texture2D>("TileSheet");

And thats it for deserializing. I now how a class with the positions of each of the tiles in the spritesheet which I can then use to determine the source position of each sprite I want to draw.

Using spritesheets in this way is not only an efficient way to save video memory, but also lets me draw any type of sprite in a single draw call. If the scene is simple enough and the sprites I need can be loaded into one texture, then I can draw everything with one list of triangles all referring to different parts of that one texture. Since draw calls are handled sequentially unless you use a depth buffer, this can be the best way to handle drawing sprites in a particular order by z value.

There are arguably better ways to draw many different sprites on top of each other, but this is the way I understand so I'm going for it! Thats it for today. Much of my time was spent fumbling around trying to get the TexturePacker Monogame nuget package working before falling back to the generic method. It was a bunch of time wasted, but I think things are working now.

Till tomorrow,